The settling of Mr. V's land happened some time after the Athabasca Landing trail was built in 1877. Extending from what is now across the river from the city of Fort Saskatchewan to the the big bend in the Athabasca river where the town of Athabasca is now situated, the Athabasca trail became the main route to fur trading posts on Lesser Slave Lake and Peace River to the Northwest and those at Waterways (now Fort McMurray) and Lake Athabasca to the northeast.
With the advent of Athabasca Landing Trail, came the requirement of supplying feed for the teams of horses and oxen that pulled the freight wagons from Fort Edmonton to the Athabasca Landing. The volume of traffic on the trail increased so much in the 1890's that the immediate area surrounding the Athabasca settlement could no longer supply enough nourishment for all the livestock and hay was shipped in from the flat, fertile lands at the south end of Flat Lake some 30 km to the South east.
Since Alberta was not yet a province, and the land surrounding Flat Lake not yet surveyed, the exact boundaries of the "Flat Lake District" are somewhat vague. It is speculated that the high ground on which the Mr. V's building is situated was probably close to the trailhead that connected the Flat Lake District to the Landing Trail.
A small trading post and post office a few kilometres to the west of Mr. V's known as Stocks was run by Mr.Chapin in the late 1890's that was augmented by a similar establishment in the early 1900's 3 km to the east simply called Flat Creek and was run by Mr. Noble and his son Phillip.
When the Alberta and Great Waterways Railroad passed some 8 km east of Mr. V's in 1914, the Hamlet of Boyle was settled and the area began to change dramatically. Grain growing began to replace livestock as the main agrarian pursuit and throngs of eastern Europeans, most notably the Ukrainians, began homesteading the surrounding area. One of the first main roads proceeded west to the village of Colinton which had been major stopping point on the Landing trail and throngs of immigrants.
In 1918 the Taylor stopping house was built in what is now Mr. V's parking lot. Consisting of a house, hay shed and stables. Stopping houses provided food and water for teams of horses as well as their drivers as they pulled wagon loads of grain to the railhead where the sacks of wheat were loaded directly into box cars.
Stopping houses were generally located 8-10 km from town and each other because that was the farthest distance that a team of horses could pull a loaded wagon before requiring food, water and a rest.
In 1938 the Taylor stopping house was purchased by Bruno Wiskel Senior, the grandfather of the present owner. Because of immigrant quotas, grandpa Bruno, first immigrated to Cuba from Lithuania in 1924 where he became foreman at a sugar cane factory, eventually coming to Canada in 1926. Grampa worked on farms in Saskatchewan until 1927 when he traveled to pier 39 in Halifax to meet and marry his high school sweetheart Juse.
The happy couple lived in Montreal where their son Bruno Jr. was born in 1930. In 1931 the Wiskel family to a homestead by Community of Bondiss on the shores of Skeleton Lake about 5 km east of the town of Boyle at the urging of several Lithuanian families living in the area at the time. Bruno Sr. second son Stanly was born in the log cabin on the homestead in 1933.
The Bondiss area is a great recreational area on the shores of Skeleton Lake, but terrible for farming so Grampa Bruno sold the place and bought the Mr. V's Quarter NE 34-64-20 W4 in 1938.
As one of the most progressive farmers in the community Bruno Wiskel had one of the first registered herds of Hereford cattle and was one of the first farmers to use commercial fertilizers and herbicides in the area.
A car garage was added in the mid 1940's, but the yard was abandoned in 1952 when the original log cabin burned down as the result of a chimney fire. The whole family moved 1/4 mile northwest to an existing house on the quarter section kitty corner to Mr. V's.
Grampa Bruno passed away in 1974 one day after suffering a massive heart attack, and the farm was turned over to his son Stan.
Stan turned the sprawling cattle ranch into one of the largest grain farms in the county in the mid 1980's, but a recession along with the corresponding low grain prices in early 1990's forced him to sell off some of his land. A portion of this this land was sold to his son Bruno (the third)in 1992 which became the legacy of Mr. V's